We are committed to helping America’s veterans and recognizing their heroic contributions to our country – both on and off of the battlefield
American Humane has been first to serve with the U.S. military for a century: Our animal rescue program was born on the battlefields of World War I Europe, where, at the request of the U.S. Secretary of War, volunteers with American Humane deployed to rescue and care for 68,000 wounded war horses each month.We continue to proudly honor this legacy today through American Humane’s Lois Pope LIFE Center for Military Affairs. The program, founded through the generosity of philanthropist and passionate veterans advocate, Lois Pope, offers meaningful support to our Armed Forces with two key areas of focus: first, providing lifesaving service dogs to veterans suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress or Traumatic Brain Injury; second, protecting America’s hard-working military dogs and recognizing their heroic contributions to our country – both on and off of the battlefield.
About American Humane Lois Pope LIFE Center for Military Affairs
Philanthropist Lois Pope is one of the nation’s leading advocates for America’s active-duty military, veterans and military animals.
The driving force behind the establishment of the American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial in Washington, D.C., the nation’s first and only permanent public tribute to the four million living disabled veterans and those who have died, she recently endowed the American Humane Lois Pope LIFE Center for Military Affairs. The Center builds on American Humane’s 100 years of work with the U.S. military by providing life-changing, life-saving programs to:
- Help military K-9 teams on and off the battlefield
- Help veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress and Traumatic Brain Injury obtain lifesaving service dogs
- Reunite retired military dogs who are left overseas with their former handlers
- Support military families in need with healing therapy animals
- Recognize and honor the life-saving contributions of military hero dogs
- Provide healthcare to America’s four-legged warriors when they finish service to their country, so that they can enjoy the healthy, happy retirement they so richly deserve
With her help – and yours – American Humane is opening a second century of caring for our military heroes – at both ends of the leash.