Five-Star Programs for America's Military Heroes
For 100 years, American Humane Association has worked with our nation’s military heroes, on the battlefield and on the home front. In 1916 the U.S. Secretary of War asked American Humane Association to rescue wounded war horses on the battlefields of World War I. American Humane Association deployed to Europe before US servicemen were called to duty, tending more than 68,000 war horses a month. Following World War II we pioneered the field of animal-assisted therapy to help returning veterans readjust to civilian life and to help children of military families cope during their parents’ deployments.
American Humane Association continues this proud legacy today with life-saving and life-affirming programs to protect those who protect us. With the healing power of the human-animal bond, innovative research initiatives, public policy solutions and direct services to animals in military service, veterans and their families, our new Lois Pope LIFE Center for Military Affairs is building a more humane world for those who choose to protect us – our military heroes.
Helping Military Veterans
Wags4Patriots: Service dogs for service members
Helping Military Families
Comfort and healing for America's littlest heroes
Helping Bring All Heroes Home
Reuniting military dogs with their handlers
Helping on the Home Front
Redeploying veterans to serve at home
How You Can Help
America's bravest men, women, children, and military animals give so much to our country but need your support! Your gift today can help these heroes – and our nation. For more information, please contact us at 1-866-242-1877 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help Us Serve America's Heroes
These programs have the potential to change the lives of so many of our brave soldiers, their families and our four-legged veterans. But we need your support to:
- Provide vitally needed care packages to active duty military dog teams overseas.
- Help ensure primary veterinary care for the nation’s retired military dogs.
- Increase the number of certified service dogs working with veterans diagnosed with PTS.
- Conduct life-saving research on effective approaches to battling PTS and other threats to the health of our military and their families
- Increase the number of certified animal-assisted therapy teams at nationwide summer camps for children of military families and year-round weekend family retreats that help veterans successfully reintegrate into family life.
- Train veterans to redeploy on the home front by using their skills in our Red Star for Warriors program to help children, animals, and communities.
- Provide for ongoing policy solutions and fixes to a challenged system that serves veterans on both ends of the leash. Spread awareness of these innovative programs to military and veterans groups, service dog organizations, and all those in need.