American Humane understands that people will make personal choices about their diet but believes that no one has the right to treat animals raised for food inhumanely.
Every sentient, living being subjected to direct human control should have an opportunity to experience an environment for which its own genotype is predisposed in order to develop into a physically and psychologically healthy animal. All farm animals should have the benefits of:
- Adequate air, water, and feed supply, according to their biological requirements.
- Safe housing and a sufficient amount of space to prevent injuries or atrophies and ensure normal growth.
- Appropriate levels of environmental complexity to prevent harmful deprivation, boredom or aversive stimulation and fear.
- Regular daily supervision and effective health care to minimize undetected accidents, injuries, or illness and the initiation of prompt assistance.
- Sensible handling in all stages of their life to avoid unnecessary stress or suffering.