1999 Ph.D. Degree-Nutrition, North Carolina State University.
1996 Master of Science-Animal Science, Colorado State University.
1993 Bachelor of Science-Animal Science, Colorado State University.
December 1999 – present, Professor (2011), Ruminant Nutrition, Colorado State University
Current Job Description
45% Research/Creative Activity
Honors and Awards
- 2010 American Society of Animal Science Early Career Achievement Award, Denver, CO.
- 2009 Western Section American Society of Animal Science Distinguished Teaching Award, Fort Collins, CO.
- 2007 NACTA Charles N. Shepardson Meritorious Teaching Award.
- 2006 Western Section American Society of Animal Science Young Scientist Award. WSASAS Meeting. Logan, UT.
- 2003 Charles N. Shepardson Faculty Teaching Award
- 1999, Awarded 1st place in the Graduate Student Awards Competition, Southern Section ASAS and ADSA meeting, Memphis, TN.
- 1997, Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award Recipient, Graduate School, North Carolina State University, NC.
- 1997, 11th Annual Graduate Student Development Workshop Participant, North Carolina State University, NC.
- 1991-1993, Full Athletic Scholarship, Colorado State University Varsity Football Team, Colorado State University, CO.
- 1989 – 1990, Junior College Football All-American and Captain, Riverside Junior College Football Team. CA.
- AN 522 – Animal Metabolism, 3 credit hour course: Instructor (2000-present).
- AN 621 – Vitamin and Mineral Metabolism, 3 credit hour course: (2000-present).
- AN 500V – Methodologies in Animal Science, 2 credit course: team taught, % of course taught-50.0% (2003 – present).
Graduate Student Mentor
Currently advining/co-advising 3 Ph.D and 4 M.S. students and have advised/co-advised 5 Ph.D., 14 M.S., and 1 Postdoctoral student
Professional Affiliations and Activities
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Western Section of the American Society of Animal Science Symposium Committee Chair, 2006.
- Western Section of the American Society of Animal Science Symposium Committee member, 2005.
- American Society for Nutritional Sciences, April 2000 – present.
- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, January 1999 – present.
- Gamma Sigma Delta, The Honor Society of Agriculture, April 1999 – present.
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists, January 1996 – present. Area of Specialization: Beef Cattle Nutrition.
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, January 1996 – present.
- American Society of Animal Science, January 1994 – present.
Selected Refereed Journal Article Publications
Neuhold, K. L., J. J. Wagner, S. L. Archibeque, T. E. Engle, and K. K. Kreikemeier. 2012. An evaluation of 10-G brand direct-fed microbial for yearling steers fed finishing diets containing wet distillers grains. Prof. Anim.Sci.28:319-324.
Schutz, J. S., J. A. Carroll, L. C. Gasbarre, T. A. Shelton, S. T. Nordstrom, J. P. Hutcheson, H. Van Campen, and T. E. Engle.2012. Effects of gastrointestinal parasites on parasite burden, rectal temperature, and antibody titer responses to vaccination and infectious bovine rhinotracheitis virus challenge. J. Anim. Sci. 90: 1948-1954.
Hess, T. M., J. K. Rexford, D. K. Hansen, M. Harris, N, Schauermann, T. Ross, T. E. Engle, K. G. Allen, and C. M. Mulligan. 2012. Effects of two different sources of long chain omega-3 highly unsaturated fatty acids on incorporation into plasma, red blood cell, and skeletal muscle in horses. J. Anim. Sci. 10.2527/jas.2012-4412.
Sexson, J. L. J. J. Wagner, T. E. Engle, and J. Eickhoff. 2011. Predicting water intake by yearling feedlot steers. J. Anim. Sci. jas.2011-4307.
Gruber, S. L., J. D. Tatum, T. E. Engle, P. L. Chapman, R. M. Enns, K. E. Belk, and G. C. Smith. 2011. Effects of genetic markers and implant strategy on longissimus and gluteus muscle tenderness of calf-fed steers and heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 89:1401-1411.
Dixon, C. L., D. R. Woerner, R. J. Tokach, P. L. Chapman, and T. E. Engle. 2011. Quantifying the “aging response” and nutrient composition for muscles of the beef round. Anim. Sci. jas.2011-4415.
White, N. R., P. D. Burns, R. D. Cheatham, R. M. Romero, J. P. Nozykowski, J. E. Bruemmer, and T. E. Engle. 2011. Fish meal supplementation increases bovine plasma and luteal tissue omega-3 fatty acid composition. J. Anim. Sci.jas.2011-4208.
Edwards, L. N., T. E. Engle, T. Grandin, M. J. Ritter, A. A. Sosnnicki, B. A. Carlson, and D. B. Anderson. 2011. The effects of distance traveled during loading, large time prior to slaughter, and distance traveled to the stunning area on blood lactate concentrations of pigs in a commercial packing plant. Prof. Anim. Sci. 27:485- 491.
Schutz, J. S., J. J. Wagner, K. L. Neuhold, S. L. Archibeque, and T. E. Engle. 2011. Effect of feed bunk management on feedlot steer intake. Prof. Anim. Sci. 27:395-401.
Galles, K., J. Ham, E. Westover, J. Stratton, J Wagner, T. Engle, and T. Bryant. 2011. Influence of reduced nitrogen diets on ammonia emissions from cattle feedlot pens. Atmosphere. 2: 655-670.
Woerner, D. R., J. D. Tatum, T. E. Engle, K. E. Belk, and D. W. Couch. 2011. Effects of sequential implanting and ractopamine hydrochloride supplementation on carcass characteristics and longissimus muscle tenderness of calf-fed steers and heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 89: 201-209.
Seabrook, J. L., R.K. Peel, T.E. Engle. 2011. The effects of replacing dietary carbohydrates with calcium salts of fatty acids on finishing lamb feedlot performance, blood metabolites, muscle fatty acid composition, and carcass characteristics. Small Ruminant Res. 85:97-103.
Don’t see the American Humane Certified™ Seal of Approval?
Send this letter or learn more about what the seal means.