This special resource from American Humane helps new and expectant parents and caregivers introduce their infants and children to their pets — and their pets to new infants and children — safely and confidently.
Pet Meets Baby is packed with helpful, easy-to-follow tips on everything you need to know to:
- Prepare your home and your pets’ environment
- Ensure appropriate pet behavior
- Arrange a happy and safe introductory meeting between pets and children
- Raise kids around pets
- Understand health and disease concerns
“Introducing a new baby to your family pet can be a beautiful thing — the bond that can develop between children and their pets is priceless if it is built on safe practices, mutual respect and love. Pet Meets Baby is a great resource I recommend to my clients, to make sure they know what to expect and how best to minimize the risks associated with introducing new family members — whether they have four legs or two.”
Benefits of Pets
Companion animals play a special role in our lives, and children raised with pets often have:
- Higher self-esteem and self-confidence
- More trusting relationships with others
- Improved non-verbal communication skills
Children and pets — keep them together!