A message from President and CEO Dr. Robin Ganzert:
For 142 years, American Humane has been leading the way in the humane movement, protecting animals and strengthening the healing power of the bond between people and animals. Our First to Serve ® success stories have happened wherever animals needed rescue, shelter, protection or security. This year of accomplishments is no different.
Our organization has a rich history, an impressive, solutions-oriented present – which you will read about in this Impact Report – and an expanded global vision for the future.
It’s been said that “vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world.” It’s our vision at American Humane to lead and encourage people to make every choice in their life, from the food they eat and the entertainment they watch to the zoos and aquariums they visit, a humane choice. People will know that animals are humanely treated because they’ll see our name associated with each of these choices through American Humane programs.
We made tremendous strides in making this vision a reality over the last year as American Humane:
- ★ Protected nearly 100,000 animal actors during 3,200 production days on film and television productions through our No Animals Were Harmed® program.
- ★ Announced a collaboration with United Airlines to address critical animal welfare needs within pet travel.
- ★ Verified the well-being of 315,000 remarkable animals through our Humane Conservation™ program in zoos and aquariums around the world.
- ★ Worked to improve the lives of farm animals – approaching one billion – by helping ensure humane living conditions and treatment through our American Humane Farm Program.
- ★ Saved, sheltered and fed more than 200,000 animals in desperate need during Hurricanes Florence and Michael, the California wildfires and major cruelty cases, with the American Humane Rescue team deploying until the crises were over.
- ★ Trained and provided, free of charge, service dogs for military veterans with post-traumatic stress (PTS) and traumatic brain injury (TBI). Reunited retiring military working dogs with their former handlers.
American Humane has a long and trusted record of using our precious resources effectively for the benefit of our most vulnerable. More than 91 cents of every dollar spent goes directly into our life-changing, life-saving programs. Thanks to all of our supporters, this Impact Report is an impressive display of our collective effort and accomplishments to protect animals. The stories of love, hope, caring and compassion jump from the page. I have no doubt when we make humane choices as to how we treat and value animals, we will succeed in building a more humane world for people, animals and the world we share.
With best wishes,
Robin R. Ganzert, Ph.D.
President and CEO