A message from President and CEO Dr. Robin Ganzert
For nearly a century and a half, one organization has been First to Serve in the protection of the most vulnerable, wherever and whenever they are in need. Founded in 1877, American Humane, the country’s first national humane group, has proudly been the driving force behind virtually every “first” in rescuing and protecting the abandoned, the hurt, and the defenseless. Today, American Humane’s programs directly improve and save the lives of more than one billion living creatures in countries all across the globe – more than any other humane organization.
In just the past year, American Humane achieved the following:
- ★ Saved, sheltered, and fed more than 600,000 animals in desperate need, with American Humane Rescue deploying to help thousands of animal victims of hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, as well as the California wildfires.
- ★ Helped ensure the safety of nearly 100,000 animals on film and television productions through our No Animals Were Harmed program.
- ★ Verified the wellbeing of 250,000 remarkable animals through our American Humane Conservation program in zoological facilities around the world.
- ★ Worked to improve the lives of 1,000,000,000 farm animals by helping ensure humane living conditions and treatment through our American Humane Farm program.
- ★ Unleashed the healing, lifesaving power of animal therapy to help families of children battling cancer and provided trained service dogs for military veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress (PTS) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
American Humane is also first in turning charitable donations into effective action. More than 91 cents of every dollar spent goes directly into life-changing, life-saving programs – part of the reason we were named a “Top-Rated Charity” with an “A” rating by CharityWatch, and why were among the fewer than 1/10th of 1 percent of U.S. charities to make the Better Business Bureau’s “Wise Giving Alliance” list.
Please enjoy the stories of compassion, hope, and caring you will find in the following pages. For 141 years American Humane has been first to serve animals in times of greatest need. With your help, we will continue to build a more humane world for all of us.
With best wishes,
Robin R. Ganzert, Ph.D.
President and CEO