Blog Post

Home / Blog Posts / The Hidden Danger in Halloween Candy

The Hidden Danger in Halloween Candy

Many of us know about the poisonous effects of chocolate to our pets but few are aware of the lurking danger in gum, mints and candy.

Xylitol is an ingredient commonly found in sugarless gum and mints, and less frequently in some candy. It is a sugar substitute that’s been widely used for years, but while it’s safe for human consumption it is extremely toxic to dogs and cats.

Xylitol, even in small quantities, can cause a dangerous drop in blood sugar which can lead to seizures, liver failure and death. If you suspect your pet ate a product with xylitol or you notice unusual symptoms such as weakness, vomiting, tremors or seizures, contact your veterinarian immediately. Treatment can be successful if caught early.

As a side note, know that xylitol is also commonly found in some toothpaste. You should never use human toothpaste to brush your dog or cat’s teeth.

Our first-responders are there when animals need them most

From natural disasters to animal cruelty investigations, we are on the front lines protecting animals in times of crisis.

Contribute Volunteer