Gifts of Stock
Give a gift of stock to American Humane to help animals and veterans in need.
Giving a gift of stock to American Humane is simple and a wonderful way to help animals and veterans in need. Through these types of gifts, you will receive one of the most significant tax breaks from the IRS. When you give American Humane appreciated securities that you’ve owned for more than one year, you will receive two tax benefits:
- You are entitled to a federal income tax deduction based on the current fair market value of the securities, regardless of the original purchase price you paid.
- You will be exempt from paying capital gains taxes on any increase in value—taxes you would pay if you sold the stock.
In addition, just like a gift of cash, gifts of stock can be directed to general support of American Humane or to a specific program you are passionate about.
To learn more about making a stock donation or for our stock transfer instructions, please call our donor line at (866) 242-1877. Please see below for the steps to take if you are ready to make your stock transfer now.
Method of Stock Delivery:
- Before transfer, please ask your broker to email, or call, the Philanthropic Services office to notify us of the transfer and to obtain stock transfer instruction.
Donor Line: (866) 242-1877
- Following the transfer, please send final confirmation to the Philanthropic Service office via email. We encourage you to alert us in advance with the details of your appreciated gift so we can properly acknowledge your donation. Electronic security transfers do not necessarily provide us with your information. Please provide the following information to Amy Carlton, by sending an email to [email protected] with:
- Your Name, address and contact information
- Name of the security
- Number of shares and estimated value
- Approximate transfer date and transferring brokerage firm
- If you have any questions, or wish to speak to someone before proceeding, please contact the Philanthropic Services team at (866) 242-1877.