was taken from her mom as a weanling and was tied up outside with a wire and left there for months. As she grew, the wire sawed through the tissue on her neck — leaving a three-inch deep wound around her neck. Once her owner realized what was happening he untied her, poured iodine on the wound and dropped her off at a shelter. Unfortunately, the shelter where she was dropped off had no vet on site and Lena did not receive immediate medical attention. She was malnourished and dehydrated and also had parasites, roundworm and giardia. Her neck wound was horribly infected and was not healing. After a massive outreach by the shelter where she was left — Lena spent a week at a vet in Utah and endured four hours of surgery to remove the infected tissue. Eventually Lena found herself at Great Pyrenees Rescue of Montana. Upon her arrival there she was diagnosed with a serious case of Parvo and spent another week at a vet. All of this and Lena was only five months old. Despite extreme pain starvation and loneliness, Leno remains sweet and loving. She is grateful for the love and care she receives and is joyful and very loving. The shelter was unable to glean the identity of the man, who did this horrific thing. Therefore, to our dismay, we were unable to make sure he was held accountable.
UPDATE ON LENA
After Lena's terrible ordeal in 2011, she is doing well and living in a wonderful home with a caring family.