American Humane Association seeks a creative, highly-motivated Web Development Associate to join our Washington D.C. headquarters office. The Web Development Associate will be an integral part of a tight-knit Marketing Communications Team, working on various technical and creative projects, including website development and management, member marketing initiatives and social media outreach. The Web Development Associate will provide hands-on expertise in a quickly-changing non-profit environment, and will be given substantial responsibility and room for professional growth.
For 135 years American Humane Association has been the nation’s leading voice for the protection of children and animals, the most vulnerable in our communities. As one of this country’s oldest humanitarian groups – and the only one devoted to this dual mission and the power of the human-animal bond - American Humane Association has since 1877 been at the forefront of virtually every major advance in the prevention of abuse and neglect and the promotion of wellbeing of our most precious assets.
Provides technical, creative, proactive, and detail-oriented support to a wide range of stakeholders, internal and external, in order to achieve the organization's marketing communications goals. Main areas of focus are in website development, site management, online marketing and social media. The Web Development Associate reports to the Communications Manager.
- Co-manage the day-to-day operations of American Humane Association’s websites and oversee the development of web page infrastructure and application related to pages requiring more advanced graphics and features
- Increase American Humane Association's web presence and constituency through the development and integration of social networking sites, search engine optimization (SEO), viral marketing, Google AdWords and Google Analytics, strategic blogging, e-commerce initiatives, and other online campaigns
- Work independently and with a team to identify, explore and implement creative online strategies to increase online traffic, subscribers and action-rates for advocacy and fundraising; make recommendations for content and online communications tools
- Work with Communications Manager, Chief Communications Officer and other staff to develop and implement internet, email, and social media strategic plans
- Monitor, analyze and report on web and email metrics in order to enhance traffic and supporter participation
- Optimize American Humane Association’s website and email alerts for mobile devices
- Keep up-to-date on online communications and web industry standards and trends
- Proven website management experience (design, development, coordination, application, installation, modification and maintenance of websites)
- Proficiency in CRM & CMS — Convio, Joomla and Wordpress highly preferable
- Experience working with Linux, MySQL, PHP, and a large variety of open-source tools, including programming frameworks
- Strong knowledge and prior use of HTML & CSS • Ability to write standards-based, semantically correct code following SEO best practices
- Strong knowledge of Web 2.0 with an emphasis on social media integration
- Experience maintaining and managing organizational social networking accounts (Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, etc.) in coordination with campaign, online communications and overall strategic plans
- Google analytics experience or experience with other analytics software
- Bachelor’s degree in Web Development, Computer Science, Information Systems, Communications, IT, Journalism or other related field
- History of experience that highlights creativity, self-motivation, resourcefulness, and initiative
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills, ability to work well both as part of a team and independently, and the ability to organize and manage multiple tasks within demanding deadlines
- Availability and flexibility to work company operational hours, including weekday evenings and weekends
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane Association’s core values:
Actions demonstrate integrity
Respect for all
Endless dedication to mission
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=3954471 or email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
American Humane Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Download this job description (.pdf)