Outreach & Research Intern, Emergency Services
American Humane Association seeks a self-motivated individual looking to gain experience within the animal protection field to join the Red Star™ Emergency Services team in our Washington D.C. headquarters office. The Emergency Services Intern will be an integral member of the famed Red Star team, working to provide overarching support to the outreach and research efforts of American Humane Association’s Red Star™ Emergency Services department.
For 135 years American Humane Association has been the nation’s leading voice for the protection of children and animals, the most vulnerable in our communities. As one of this country’s oldest humanitarian groups – and the only one devoted to this dual mission and the power of the human-animal bond - American Humane Association has since 1877 been at the forefront of virtually every major advance in the prevention of abuse and neglect and the promotion of wellbeing of our most precious assets.
Provides high-quality, proactive, and detail-oriented support to advance the Emergency Services department’s ability to achieve desired outcomes for the protection of animals nationwide through the execution of administrative projects which will include outreach and research.
- Promotes the Red Star™ training program to emergency management professionals, animal welfare organizations, potential volunteers and other parties.
- Monitors and tracks cases of animal cruelty nationwide for possible deployment, intervention or other opportunities; keeps the National Director updated on emerging issues.
- Assist with updating and upgrading volunteer administration and records. Call volunteers to determine interest in staying on active list, update their stats and information.
- Assists with social media outreach and monitoring for Red Star™.
- Creates some short items- blog posts, tweets, etc., relevant to the program.
- Prepares, proof reads, edits and finalizes letters, proposals and reports.
- Assists with various projects which may include the creation of spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations and marketing materials. Helps to ensures that all program materials are up-to-date.
- Conducts background research and presents information in a concise, detailed format.
- Does opportunity research, analysis and outreach.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize tasks in order to meet deadlines.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills with the ability to proofread, edit, and clearly and concisely summarize information.
- Strong research and analytical skills. Ability to investigate an issue, ask thoughtful questions and recommend possible solutions.
- Flexibility to work independently and as part of a team.
- Use discretion and maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times with both internal staff and external constituents.
- Ability to quickly learn software specific to the department or institution (i.e. Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane Association’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=6520031 or email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
American Humane Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.